Tue, Nov 02|
Virtual Training Session
Supporting Individuals with Mental Illness and Substance Use
4 HALF-DAY VIRTUAL TRAINING SESSIONS
Time & Location
Nov 02, 2021, 9:00 a.m. EDT – Nov 10, 2021, 1:00 p.m. EST
Virtual Training Session
About the Event
IMPORTANT - Due to the limited number of spaces, this training is reserved for ODSN member agencies ONLY.
Working with People with Developmental Disabilities who have Mental Health and/or Substance Use
Join us for 4 half-day sessions to learn more about supporting individuals with mental illness and substance use within a case management approach. Rooted in person-centered and strength-based practice, this training will cover the basics of mental illness, substance use, and how these issues present in individuals with intellectual disabilities. The goal of the training is to provide an overview of case management as an evidence-based model to support individuals living with mental illness and/or substance use to achieve their goals, and to equip staff with the skills and knowledge to effectively provide recovery-oriented, client-directed services within a community setting.
This training program is designed to help workers in the developmental disability sector better understand the context, roles and functions of case management within our current mental health and developmental disabilities systems. Recovery principles and values are presented as strong foundations for practice within a strength-based and person-centered approach. Participants are also encouraged to explore ethics, boundaries and resiliency strategies.
- Understand the principles, roles and functions of Case Management
- Cover the basics of mental health and substance use issues, and how these symptoms present in individuals with intellectual disabilities.
- Learn the integrated treatment approach for Concurrent Disorder (Mental Illness & Substance Use).
- Review practical strategies and tools, such as Stages of Change, Harm Reduction, Trauma and Grieving in the context of recovery.
Training Dates & Course Outline:
This online training program is held over a series of four half-days.
Participation in ALL 4 sessions is mandatory.
Please mark your calendars for the four half-days of online training!
- November 2nd | 9 AM to 1 PM | Part 1 | Substance Use
- November 3rd | 9 AM to 1 PM | Part 2 | Mental Health
- November 9th | 9 AM to 1 PM | Part 3 | Integrated Treatment, Person Centred Practices, ethics and boundaries, using strengths based approaches to supporting clients with their mental health and substance use.
- November 10th | 9 AM to 1 PM | Part 4 | Integrated Treatment, Person Centred Practices, ethics and boundaries, using strengths based approaches to supporting clients with their mental health and substance use.
This customized training is being offered by Canadian Mental Health Association (Ottawa) with facilitators:
- Marie Delorme, M.Ed., RSW, Certified Motivational Interviewing Trainer
- Melvin Ong, Dual Diagnosis Justice Service Coordinator
- Additional Colleagues from CMHA.