Thu, Feb 09|
SERIES: The Power of Roles
3-part series with Darcy Elks
Time & Location
Feb 09, 2023, 9:00 a.m. – 1:00 p.m.
About the Event
We encourage participants to attend each of the 3 days.
February 9th, 2023
February 16th, 2023
February 21st, 2023
From 9AM to 1PM
This workshop will provide opportunities for participants to think and learn about the following topics:
• What a truly inclusive good life looks like.
• Why it is so difficult for people who are societally marginalized to access the good things of life.
• Positive examples of people who were excluded from society who now have inclusive lifestyles and are experiencing the good life.
• The power of valued social roles to create the potential for inclusive lifestyles.
• Practical application of the ideas: Each participant will be asked to come prepared to think about one person who would like an inclusive lifestyle and a vision of valued social roles that the person might like to try. A plan to assist the person to try out and get rooted in valued social roles will be developed at the workshop.
• Ideas on how to bring the learning of this workshop back to people served, families, other workers, and the agency in general.
ABOUT THE TRAINER
Darcy is an educator, consultant, human service evaluator, and advocate on behalf of people who are societally devalued. Darcy is also a parent of 3 children one of whom has an intellectual disability. Darcy has traveled internationally for 35 years and has worked with many different groups of people, including persons who have themselves been marginalized by society, family members, professionals from different disciplines such as teachers, psychologists, social workers, members of faith communities, and human service providers from a number of fields (intellectual disability, mental health, and aging).
The focus of Darcy’s work is to encourage development of vision, attitudes, structures, and actions which promote social value and inclusion for people who have disabilities and other people who have been devalued and excluded. Darcy is passionate about the vision and work of creating inclusive communities: communities where we are all welcome and where we can each use our gifts for the good of one another. Darcy's thinking and work has been very influenced by her daughter Mary's life experiences and her presentations reflect both personal and professional perspectives. As well, Darcy was fortunate to work with Dr. Wolfensberger who is the creator of Social Role Valorization (SRV) and ideas from SRV are woven throughout her work.